BROCKVILLE – With a number of little ghosts and goblins running the streets for Halloween tonight (Oct. 31), police are stressing safety for both the little ones and for motorists.
Brockville police, Leeds County and Grenville County O.P.P. will be out on patrol tonight looking for mischief makers while keeping children safe.
City police are offering the following tips to ensure you have a great Halloween:
- Avoid trick-or-treating alone. Walk in groups or with a trusted adult
- Fasten reflective tape to costumes and bags or bring a flashlight to help drivers see you
- Always walk and don’t run from house to house
- Look both ways before crossing the street. Use crosswalks wherever possible
- Only walk on sidewalks whenever possible, or on the far edge of the road facing traffic to stay safe
- Wear well-fitting masks, costumes, and shoes to avoid blocked vision, trips, and falls
- Eat only factory-wrapped treats. Avoid eating homemade treats made by strangers
- Enter homes only if you’re with a trusted adult. Only visit well-lit houses. Don’t stop at dark houses. Never accept rides from strangers
- Carry emergency contact information
There are also tips for motorists:
- don’t drink and drive
- Slow Down
- Drive with extra caution. Children may be excited and distracted and have reduced visibility from costumes
Have a safe and Happy Halloween!