PRESCOTT – Town officials have had to shuffle around offices after a building inspection turned up asbestos in “portions of the second floor” at the town hall.
In a release Tuesday, CAO Pierre Mercier said the second floor of the building was closed Monday and will remain that way “indefinitely” after a structural condition assessment turned up the construction compound.
Asbestos is known to cause mesothelioma, a rare and aggressive lung cancer.
The public will now be served on the first floor of the 360 Dibble Street West building while council and committee meetings will take place on the third floor.
”It is disappointing and surprising to receive these results, especially given the complete renovation of the town hall in 2003 that should have addressed all issues and contaminants,” Mayor Brett Todd said.
“But safety is paramount, so the second floor of the building is being closed immediately while council determines a course of action.”
Added to the issues is a need to completely replace all of the windows in the building, he said.