FRONT OF YONGE – Provincial police are reminding you not to be hurried or pressured by over-the-phone or at-the-door salespeople.
This, after an 80-year-old Front of Yonge resident was called Tuesday by a so-called “sales agent” claiming to be from Hydro One.
The agent said he would be coming to the home to inspect their furnace for inefficiencies.
But the homeowner was concerned and called police.
Leeds County O.P.P. officers intercepted the agent, who turned out to not be from Hydro One, but another agency.
The O.P.P. are passing along these tips:
- Never be hurried or pressured, If someone is indicating it’s a secret or must be done immediately ask “why”?
- Research before you act, if responding to an ad check their history with the site. When in doubt phone the police BEFORE YOU ACT call 1 888 310 1122 for the OPP
- Never be embarrassed, when in doubt ask someone
- Never give control to of your computer to someone you don’t know
- Never send money to someone you don’t know