Lemay: Majority of victims in FCS privacy breach contacted

BROCKVILLE – The top administrator at Family and Children’s Services of Lanark, Leeds and Grenville says the agency took “swift and decisive actions” in the wake of last week’s security breach.

In a statement, Executive Director Raymond Lemay says they have successfully contacted 194 of the 285 clients or former clients exposed when a link to a confidential CAS report was posted on two Facebook pages.

Lemay says some of the victims were “understandably angry, but the great majority has (sic) been gracious and understanding.”

The agency says it’s committed to reaching all 285 clients or former clients.

While it’s been some “difficult days for the agency,” Lemay adds they are “so grateful that so many of our community partners and supporters have come to our aid with their best wishes and kind words.”

The FCSLLG and Lemay are named in a $75 million class action lawsuit, filed by a Toronto law firm on behalf of the mother of a foster child that was the subject of an investigation.

Family and Children’s Services believes the illegally published information has been taken down since the breach on April 18, 2016 and that the agency’s website is being retooled to add security.

“We’re doing everything we can to make sure our systems are safe and secure. Our Agency takes privacy very, very seriously,” Lemay said.

Citing the ongoing court process, the agency is not commenting on the lawsuit.

Likes(0)Dislikes(0)
Facebook Find Brockville Newswatch on Facebook