WESTPORT – There’s no swimming at Foley Mountain beach in Westport, likely for the next week.
The Leeds Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit posted the beach Monday afternoon for no swimming after tests came back with an identifiable health hazard that makes the beach unsafe, likely very high bacteria levels or a blue-green algae bloom.
It’s the only beach to have a “do not use” advisory in effect.
Seven beaches have cautionary postings, with the health unit suggesting the bacterial levels are unacceptable and you shouldn’t swim. Those areas are:
- Riverside and Centennial beaches (Carleton Place)
- Joel Stone Beach (Gananoque)
- Lanark Beach (Lanark Highlands)
- Merrickville Beach (Merrickville)
- Almonte Beach (Mississippi Mills)
- Rideau Lakes Day Use Park (Sand Lake)(Rideau Lakes)
Beach testing is done weekly and the results of a new round of tests should be known Friday.